The process of choosing clothes is not always that easy. Sometimes you have a clear notion of what you are going to buy in the shop, but once you have come here, you become confused. There is an overwhelming variety of different kinds of clothes regarding size, colour, style and brands, so it is hard to pick the right one. That is the exact reason why you should know what clothes look good on you.
1. There are some aspects of your look that you probably want to underline. Clothes can be helpful for doing that. By choosing the appropriate outfit you can appear to be smaller, taller or more noticeable. You might experiment with cuts and shapes to adjust clothes to your personal needs.
Patterns – vertical lines will make you taller and thinner, while horizontal stripes broaden the visual space. Bright or big patterns will draw attention to clothes. If you want to emphasize any part of the body, then you definitely need a patterned shirt. On the contrary, dark outfit can hide some imperfections of the body, especially when paired with something bright and catchy.
Waist types – low-waisted pants emphasize the curves of the figure. A high waist highlights the bust.
Tailoring – clothes with elaborate tailoring can emphasize every part of the body. Loose outfits usually make the body rather massive. Folded trousers make the legs look thicker.
Shape – A-line skirts make the bottom bigger. Straight skirts look differently depending on the body shape. A tapered skirt, on the contrary, makes the lower body look less prominent.
Fit – boxy clothes conceal the nuances of the body, while tighter highlight them.
2. It is important to know your proportions. It does not matter whether you buy clothes in a shop or get them tailored personally for you – you should know your measurements. There are some important measurements:
Circumference of the head (for caps).
Upper arm (sleeves)
Neck (especially for men)
Hips (for women)
The inner-side length of a leg
3. Your clothing must fit you. In fact, it is even more important than wearing a beautiful garment. The outfit which fits well but does not look impressive is better than stylish clothing which fits poorly. Clothes should be comfortable and not looking too loose.
If you are going to lose weight, do not buy clothing into which you are going to fit soon. It is better to refresh your wardrobe once you have become slimmer.
4. Buy an outfit that looks good on you now. If it does not, then it won’t fit in a few months or in a few years. Do not waist your budget on garments that you would not wear. It depends on style as well as on size. If a jacket does not button or is too large for you, it does not fit your figure.
5. Clothes do not always fit properly if they look good from the front. A lot of people do not take into account how clothes look from behind. A helpful tool would be a mobile phone with a front-facing camera. Take it to the dressing room and check how each piece of clothes looks on you. Isn’t the garment too baggy or too small? Are there any unwanted fold on the back? If you do not have a phone with a front-facing camera, bring a small mirror with you.
6. It is a bad idea to keep up with every fashion trend. You may want to try out new styles, but if they do not suit you, it is better not to wear them. Make you own style by bringing in only those trends that flatter your appearance. If your body shape and a new trendy piece of clothes do not look well-balanced together, try to avoid this very type of clothing.
1. Find colours that look great on you. These are usually the colours which suit the tone of the skin, combine with each other or simply are your favorite colours. Try to use the colours that match your skin shades as well as the overall skin tone. People whose skin has warm undertones often look perfect with warm hues, while cold tints suit people with cool-toned skin. However, if you adore any colour that does not match your skin tone, it would all the same work for you.
Try to incorporate some basic colours into your wardrobe. These colours are sometimes called “neutral”, because they will look appropriate in practically every situation. Neutrals include monochrome hues from white to dark grey and black and also brown and navy-blue.
Grey is a good choice for everyday look. You can combine it with practically every colour, like purple or yellow. A white shirt is an excellent supplement to any kind of outfit. If there is one colourful detail in your look, like bright trousers, it will immediately take the focus of attention, that is why it is better to combine such clothes with something more neutral. Try to avoid using too much bright colours in one outfit.
Black is also a good choice. By using this colour, you can easily put together different colours so that they seem well-balanced. Black is a must for those who wants to dress in a formal way, but can also look casual and even rebellious. This colour looks greatly with different types of accessories from the modern ones to antique items. Black can be used for serious occasions as well as for informal dinners with friends, for dates and for physical activities. You can combine it with various colours to look more bright. You can also stay monochrome or bring in a few highlights by wearing colourful accessories.
Use complementary colours in your outfits. These are the colours that are placed opposite to each other on the colour wheel, like blue-orange and red-green. However, it may seem too bright. The best choice is then to introduce some monochrome elements of the look.
2. Keep to a brand which produces your favorite clothes. Once you have noticed that some pieces of clothing look great on you, check out other garments that this very brand offers. There is no strict correspondence between sizes of different brands, most brands try to stick with a particular sizing. However, if the quality of a brand falls or the sizes are changing, try looking for something else.
3. Buy several identical items of clothing that suits you. It is ok to buy one and the same garment if you want to stick to your style for a long time. It may seem rather conservative, but appears to be very helpful. As the everyday clothing wears out, there will always be a substitute. This is a good tip for those who find it difficult to pick comfortable clothes.
4. The value of the clothes is an extremely important thing. Try not to buy cheap clothes that won’t last for a long period of time. Instead, save money to purchase clothes of good quality. In other words, you would end up spending many times as much on cheap items, while you can afford yourself to buy a lasting outfit for a higher price.
The sign of a good quality are well-stitched seams. Check them before purchasing a clothing item.
It is better to have a small wardrobe with high-quality clothing than lots of unnecessary, cheap clothes that do not flatter your appearance and cannot last for too long.
If you cannot buy expensive clothes, visit some retail outlets. There you can find the right item for a reduced price, but of a good quality.
5. If you are an overweight person, you can wear everything in which you feel great. To seem thinner, you can wear clothes with vertical stripes. Black colour also makes the body shape much slimmer.
6. Choose the materials which are comfortable for you to wear. The best option is natural, organic fabric, which feels very soft on the skin. You can also pick some clothing items which are a mix of synthetic and natural materials.
1. Choose the basics for your wardrobe. Make sure that there are some basic pieces which you can wear practically on every occasion. For example, you go to work in the morning and then go out in the evening. You should pick such clothing that fits the dress code and at the same time is relevant for a date. If you wear a suit in the office, you can add a bright scarf to make the whole image more eye-catchy. You can wear a monotone middle-length skirt at work, but turn your outfit into something more informal by adding accessories.
2. Choose no more than two colours for your everyday clothing, especially for the garments that you wear to work. The basic colours are grey, black, blue and brown. Pick one of them and try to stick to it. All these neutrals do not always look good together, that is why it is better to restrict the palette to just several basic hues. By using the neutrals you can create even more outfits. Purchase various clothing items: trousers, skirts and coats in neutral colours. White is also a neutral, but you can wear it with other basic colours.
3. It is essential to go shopping keeping in mind you current set of clothes. If you do not buy a whole outfit at once, you need to combine your newly acquired items with the clothes from your wardrobe. Before buying a piece of clothing, think of what you will wear it with. Even if you fall in love with an item, it may look strange in combination with your other clothes just because of the wrong style. Many people do not consider this step, which leads to heaps of clothes which will never be worn.
Focus your attention on one piece of your wardrobe. Try to imagine what kinds of clothes you could add to make an appropriate outfit. It can be a business costume or a look for a party. Matching includes not only clothes but also accessories, which might change the whole image drastically. It is important, though, not to overuse different types of metal in accessories. Warm-toned gold does not always correspond with silver or platinum, which have a cold tone. If you have lots of colours in your outfit, then it is better to use just one type of metal in jewellery.
4. Throw away everything that you do not wear. The main point of creating your wardrobe is not buying everything. It is all about making it a set of items that flatter your appearance and suit your personality. Get rid of all unnecessary garments to create space for clothing that you really need. You can sell old clothing online. There is also an opportunity to contribute it to charity. Sometimes it is helpful to use the social media instead of just throwing away clothes. Maybe, some of your friends need new clothing items.
5. Choose the colours that fit your skin undertone. If they don’t, some pieces of clothing might look ridiculous on you. Colour can also carry a message to the world. If you want to seem friendly and easy-going, wear some light or bright clothes. Contrasts and saturated hues will grab the attention of other people. Dark colours, especially black, will make a person look serious, calm and powerful. Pale clothing will not allow you to stand out in the crowd, which is an advantage for work routine.